Ready For 2018? Tips To Create an Attitude of Gratitude by Nina Sonovia/Nina Sonovia, MS, LPCC – Founding Director and CEO of Solonco Biofeedback Institute
3 Tips to Create an Attitude of Gratitude in 2018
It has been established that practicing gratitude is a good thing, but did you know that it is a healthy practice for your mind as well? The universal concept is that having a healthy mind will lead to a healthy lifestyle, and there is no argument about that. Recently, it has been proven that gratitude can lead to a better life.
Gratitude is the admiration of what one might see as valuable or meaningful. It is a state of appreciation or thankfulness. It associates with the genuine appreciation of blessings and opportunities that make a person realize everything that they have. It is the key to life that leads you to be happy and functional in the world.
How it Helps the Brain
The hypothalamus is a part of the brain that controls various bodily functions including eating, sleeping, metabolism, temperature, and growth. Studies proved that the hypothalamus is stimulated when a person is feeling gratitude towards someone or something or does something kind. This also means that it is hard for a human to function without grace. Gratitude can be addictive, and this can be a healthy addiction. Being kind and grateful stimulates the release of happy hormones or dopamine in our body. This leads to the improvement of health in several ways, including:
* Lower levels of experiencing pain
* Better sleep
* Reduction of depression and anxiety
* Stress relief
* Increase of energy and vitality
This is another great reason to be grateful!
Using Gratitude to Keep Up with Your New Year’s Resolutions
1. It makes you realize the blessings in life and how far you have come. It will allow you to count your blessings rather than dwell on your regrets. A good way of practicing gratitude could be by getting a friend to text you 3 things that they are grateful for every day and vice versa. This would be amazing as well because you would be strengthening your relationship with your friend in the process.
2. Mental and physical benefits. It has been proven that gratitude improves your well-being, so in 2018, you can get more sleep, no anxiety or depression, and better mental care. People that are grateful are known to exercise, have better eating habits, and are less likely to engage in health degrading things. So, it is exactly what you may need.
3. Finding a way to give back. In the upcoming year, make sure you find something that would be a happiness booster. Some people find saying “thank you” for something that makes them feel good, or you could buy someone food or simply just smile. Every kind action you do will be a small move towards gratitude.
Do an Act of Kindness
An act of kindness never hurts anybody. In fact, it makes people feel better about the world we live in. With so many things wrong with humanity, coming across nice people allows an individual to regain their faith. So, be the change you wish to see in the world. Be kind.